Skip The Line! How To Get Free TSA PreCheck, Global Entry & Clear Memberships
For the majority of travelers, the ever-unpredictable line at airport security is a dreaded experience. A flyer never knows how long the line will be, how slow or fast it will move and then there’s the scramble to stay somewhat organized even while removing shoes, liquids, and laptops. Here are some helpful hints on TSA PreCheck, Global Entry and Clear that may make future airport experiences a little easier.
TSA PreCheck directs the traveler to a different line where they don’t have to remove their shoes, jacket or laptop. Global Entry is very similar to PreCheck but also expedites the customs and immigration lines for international fliers returning to the U.S. When credit cards offer either of these services, they usually do it in one of two ways.
The first option is receiving a $85 credit to cover PreCheck, which costs $85 for five years. The second option is a $100 credit to cover the fee for Global Entry, which costs $100 for 5 years. Since Global Entry has all the benefits of PreCheck and them some, it is best to go with that Global Entry. Some credit cards only offer $85 credit for both options, which leaves a $15 balance to be paid if choosing Global Entry.
Here is a list of credit cards that offer a $100 credit that would cover 5-years of PreCheck or Global Entry.
- Arvest Visa Signature Credit Card
- Bank of America® Premium Rewards® credit card
- BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards card
- Capital One Spark Miles for Business
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- Capital One® Venture X® Card
- Certain American Express cards
- Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
- Citi Prestige® Card
- Commerce Bank World Elite MasterCard
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
- Diners Club Carte Blanche Corporate card
- Expedia Rewards Voyager Card from Citi
- HSBC Elite World Elite Mastercard®
- HSBC Premier World Mastercard®
- IHG Rewards Club
- Marriott Bonvoy
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
- MasterCard Black card
- MasterCard Gold card
- Navy Federal’s Visa Signature Flagship Rewards card
- Orbitz Rewards
- PenFed Pathfinder Rewards American Express card
- Provident World+ Travel
- Radisson Rewards
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Credit Card
- SunTrust Travel Rewards World Elite MasterCard
- UBS Visa Infinite Credit Card
- United Club℠ Infinite Card
- United℠ Explorer Card
- United QuestSM Card
- US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite card
- US Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express card
There are also traveler loyalty programs where travelers can use miles or points to earn free TSA PreCheck.
- United MileagePlus: Redeem 10,000 United MileagePlus miles for TSA PreCheck
- Marriott Bonvoy: Redeem 25,000 points for an $85 credit for TSA PreCheck
- IHG Rewards Club: Redeem 30,000 points for an $85 credit for TSA PreCheck
- Radisson Rewards: Redeem 65,000 points for an $85 credit for TSA PreCheck
- Orbitz Rewards: Platinum members get a free TSA PreCheck membership every five years
Clear allows a traveler to skip the lines entirely. There is no requirement to show an ID before going through normal screening. Clear is more difficult to get for free, but United and Delta fliers can get it if they reach the Diamond Medallion (Delta) or Premiere 1K (United) distinction.